The Wayfinders Among Us: First-Gen Professionals in AALL
Includes a Live Event on 01/19/2022 at 11:00 AM (CST)
First-generation professionals are the first in their families to cross a threshold into a professional career. Many face socioeconomic issues not experienced by their colleagues, and can face a sense of isolation and a steep learning curve with regard to professional norms. Conversely, inclusion of first-gen professionals can help to foster diversity in law librarianship, and first-gens can serve as an empathetic point of contact for similarly situated students, patrons, and peers. Panelists, who are first-gen professionals from academic, government, and law firm settings, will discuss their triumphs and challenges, and provide insights into navigating their unique career paths. They will also discuss establishment of the First-Gen Professionals Caucus, which serves as a vehicle for professional development, mentorship, and coordination of recruitment efforts for first-gen law and library students.
Submitted in coordination with the First-Gen Professionals Caucus.
Anyone who is interested in diversity and inclusion in law librarianship. First-gen professionals, colleagues or managers of first-gen professionals.
- Meet other first-gen professionals within AALL.
- Build community around the shared experience of being an FGP.
- Learn about ways to be a resource for FG students/new associates/new colleagues.
- Assess the strengths we bring to the workplace as FGPs.
- Diane Deng, Seyfarth Shaw LLP
- Joe Lawson, Harris County Law Library
- Clanitra Stewart Nejdl, Massey Law Library at Vanderbilt University
- Geraldine Kalim, University of Georgia
- Jill Kilgore, Littler Mendelson, P.C.
AALL BODY OF KNOWLEDGE DOMAINS: Professionalism + Leadership At Every Level
CANCELLATION AND OTHER POLICIES
No refunds will be given for any purchased live AALL webinar. This applies to non-AALL members only; live AALL webinars are free for AALL members.
Please contact AALL at firstname.lastname@example.org by January 5, 2022 if you would like to request live captioning services.