From the Ground Up: Advancing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion When You’re Not in Charge
Recorded On: 07/17/2022
This session will explore action steps that librarians at all professional levels can take to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in the workplace, as people at different professional levels have varying amounts of authority and freedom to act. Our panelists will discuss examples of formal, semi-formal, and informal (personal) methods of advancing DEI across all types of law libraries. A key focus of the discussion will be how to empower non-managers to promote DEI, including paraprofessional.
Recorded at the 2022 AALL Annual Meeting & Conference. Please note the opinions shared during the programs represent the views of the speakers and not of AALL.
This program is intended to benefit librarians at all professional levels and across all law library types.
- Participants will be able to describe ways of empowering non-managers to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in their professional and personal lives.
- Participants will be able to assess which methods of promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion discussed in the program are appropriate for their professional comfort levels.
- Participants will be able to identify and apply at least three concrete action steps they can take to promote diversity, equity, and inclusion in their workplace.
- Shivani Naicker, K&L Gates LLP
- Jenny Silbiger, Hawaii Supreme Court Law Library
- Michele Villagran, San Jose State University, School of Information
- Sabrina Davis, Harris County Robert W. Hainsworth Law Library
- Miriam Childs, Law Library of Louisiana