Diversity & Inclusion Symposium: Wellness Post-COVID: How Can Law Libraries Support the Wellness of BIPOC, LGBTQ, and Marginalized Groups During These High-Stress Times? (sponsored by LexisNexis)
Recorded On: 07/17/2022
- Non-member - $30
- Individual Member - Free!
- Student Member - Free!
- Retired Member - Free!
The past two years have been stressful! Library employees were faced with navigating through a pandemic while trying to do their jobs. We faced budget challenges, threats of furloughs or layoffs, and were required to rapidly adapt our work for the remote environment. Additionally, COVID rates of hospitalization and death were higher for people of color meaning some employees from marginalized groups are grieving the loss of a loved one.
Unexpectedly, some groups were able to thrive while working at home and are anxious about returning to the physical office. Despite thriving in a work-from-home or hybrid environment, many libraries have mandated a return to the physical office space. Further, while many workplaces have sick and paid time off, taking time off may be explicitly or implicitly discouraged. This program will explore the unique anxieties that marginalized groups face when returning to the physical office space.
We will describe best practices for facilitating the return to the office and suggest methods to support the wellness of marginalized groups.
Recorded at the 2022 AALL Annual Meeting & Conference. Please note the opinions shared during the programs represent the views of the speakers and not of AALL.
Managers, directors, and library employees would benefit from this program. It is relevant for employees in all job functions, in all library environments.
- Participants will compare and contrast the diverse needs of employees with leaders’ efforts to return to pre-COVID 'normalcy'.
- Participants will identify coping mechanisms for returning to the office.
- Participants will identify ways to support employee wellness as they return to the physical library.
- Richelle Reid, North Carolina Central University School of Law Library
- Mandy Lee, Chicago-Kent College of Law
- Janeen Williams, Chapman University Fowler School of Law
- Kelly Leong, Fordham
AALL BODY OF KNOWLEDGE DOMAINS: Professionalism + Leadership At Every Level, Management + Business Acumen