Creating Belonging: The Middle Managers’ Role in Fostering Inclusive Environments
Recorded On: 07/17/2022
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are topics that are usually discussed from the perspective of top leadership. However, this focus on top management misses the critical role that middle managers play in creating an inclusive environment and a diverse team. From hiring decisions to disciplinary actions and mentorship, middle managers are uniquely positioned to create an inclusive work environment. Through a robust discussion of the responsibilities that middle managers have in diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives, this program aims to provide middle managers with the tools to challenge their own biases and evaluate the environment within their department. Participants will have the opportunity to work on scenarios that allow them to apply the concepts discussed in the class to real-world scenarios. After the session, participants will receive additional resources and information.
Recorded at the 2022 AALL Annual Meeting & Conference. Please note the opinions shared during the programs represent the views of the speakers and not of AALL.
Individuals that have any supervisory responsibility would benefit from this session.
- Participants will be able to identify the responsibility that middle managers have in the recruitment and retention of a diverse workforce.
- Participants will learn anti-racism and diversity, equity, and inclusion principles aimed to create an inclusive environment.
- Participants will apply these concepts to typical scenarios that middle managers face.
- Andre Davison, Orrick, Herrington & Sutcliffe, LLP
- Kirstin Nelson, USDA National Agricultural Library
- Julia Pluta, University of Missouri-Kansas City
- Allison Reeve Davis, Littler Mendelson, P.C.
- Ariel Scotese, University of Chicago D'Angelo Law Library
- Taryn Marks, Stanford University Robert Crown Law Library