A New Way of Working: Supporting Library Professionals in Remote and Hybrid Workplaces
Recorded On: 07/19/2022
- Non-member - $30
- Individual Member - Free!
- Student Member - Free!
- Retired Member - Free!
This program will present the challenges caregivers face in the workplace. The United States has long struggled with paid leave and other policies to support parents and other working caregivers. COVID-19 upended traditional caregiving arrangement and cast a bright light on the weaknesses in the United States’ system. As we return to our offices or re-enter the labor force in a ‘new normal,” we will evaluate how our now virtual or hybrid workplaces have evolved, and explore the long-term professional impacts of this new way of working and best practices for employees and managers.
Recorded at the 2022 AALL Annual Meeting & Conference. Please note the opinions shared during the programs represent the views of the speakers and not of AALL.
This presentation is for newer library staff who are defining their professional roles in a time when the traditional models of work and career development are shifting, mid-career professionals who find themselves squarely in the “sandwich” generation of caregiving, and management tasked with developing successful and equitable workplace cultures in this new way of working. The presentation is relevant to librarians in all organizational settings from government to academia to law firms.
- Participants will understand how the legal and academic workplace is evolving in late-stage and post-pandemic remote and hybrid work.
- Participants will develop best practices for professional success for library staff at all levels and in different phases of their lives.
- Participants will identify strategies for addressing career disadvantages caused by the “invisible work” that women, especially BIPOC women, carry at home and in the workplace.
- Leanne Fuith, Mitchell Hamline School of Law
- Susan Trombley, Fredrikson and Byron
AALL BODY OF KNOWLEDGE DOMAINS: Professionalism + Leadership At Every Level